Sunday, May 15, 2011

Days 9 - 14

What a week.  

Day 9 was great.  I completed the Plyometrics workout with only a few modifications.  My legs killed...I was sufficiently dizzy...yet I made it through.  I've discovered that (at this point) I can't do any quick pivots or turns without getting serious vertigo.  Ever since The Great Tilt-a-Whirl Incident of 1986, I've not been able to handle spinning around in circles.  I've noticed that when I try to do twists and spins it usually results in me wanting to puke.  Lesson learned.

Day 10 ended strong with an evening round of Shoulders & Arms.  My kids (8, 6, and 4) watched me during the last half, and we even did a few of the cool down stretches together.  I'm glad to see that they are curious about their dad's new exercise routine, even if I look a little ridiculous at times.  This was also the first day of doing Ab Ripper X.  Needless to say, as a fat guy, these were pretty rough.  Having the kids down there was good motivation.  I want my children to know that health and wellness are important.  So far, I've been a pretty rotten example of those virtues. 

Day 11 was the beginning of the end for me.  My good friend's bachelor party consumed most of the day.  My eating was great throughout most of the day.  We played disc golf at a rather hilly course the entire afternoon, which burned some calories and gave my legs a good stretch.  I figured this was an acceptable substitute for Yoga X.  However, at night, all hell broke loose.  A Philly cheese steak with fries and copious amounts of beer rounded out the evening.  Not pretty.

Day 12 was a recovery day -- not from the workouts, but from the night before.  Lots of intermittent napping, water, and a frozen pizza filled my day.  I walked a few miles in the evening, which felt good, even though my dog was dragging me into tick-infested wooded areas.  As a result of the screwed up sleep schedule, I didn't sleep well at night.  No p90x workout...again.

Day 13 was my friend's wedding.  My eating was good throughout the morning and afternoon, even choosing a Lean Cuisine for lunch.  Once again, the evening wasn't so good.  The food at the reception was delicious, and I made sure I ate my fill (including an outrageously decadent cupcake).  A few glasses of wine alleviated my guilt, but only temporarily.  

Day 14 was by far the worst.  Not only did I neglect to do a workout, I drank a can of soda, ate pizza for lunch, and even indulged an enormous supper at McDonald's.  In other words, this was like almost every other Sunday in the last few years.  Indulgent eating on-the-go in the midst of job-related stress.  The only good thing about it was, unlike previous years, my body and my conscience rejected this.  Much like my severe headache on Day 1, I hope that what I felt at the end of Day 14 will motivate me to be in a healthier place in the days ahead.

Moving into Week 3, I feel like I really have a chance at committing to the workouts and healthy eating. I am traveling at the end of the week, but I don't have many late-night or early-morning meetings until then.  Hopefully wellness and balance will reign this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment