Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Day 17

Shoulders & Arms.

Feeling spry, I decided to increase weight and decrease reps for this round of shoulders and arms.  It was fun to see enhanced strength and stamina over the last two weeks.  Lest I get carried away, it's important to remember that I'm still outrageously out-of-shape.  However, it was rewarding to be able to increase intensity and not have to quit halfway through the workout.

I also completed the 18-minute ab workout after the 60-minute shoulders and arms routine.  I'm still taking more breaks than I should, but I'm sensing some improvement here as well.  My "core" is pretty flabby.  I'm feeling these exercises in my hip flexors as much as in my abdominals.  Tony (the buff dude on the DVD) says that's normal.  Or something...

Eating was good-but-not-great today.  I'm a huge cereal eater, so I've cut back to only one bowl a day (down from 4-5) and only eat cereals that are high in fiber and protein.  In related news, they also taste like twigs and leaves.  I ate at Chipotle, my favorite place for lunch, and had a chicken burrito with rice, beans, and grilled veggies.  Not an ultra-healthy choice, but I refrained from sour cream, cheese, soda, or chips.  I continued to keep my water intake high and munch on fruits and veggies throughout the day.

Truth be told, my entire body is freaking sore!  I also feel like I'm not getting enough sleep at night, so I'm dragging my feet during the 2nd half of each day.  Perhaps my body is still adjusting to caffeine withdrawal.  Man, what I wouldn't give for a cup of coffee or a Mountain Dew.

Last night I had a friend tell me I looked "skinnier and younger," which was very kind and may help fuel me through these next few days.  I'm not necessarily noticing any physical improvement, aside from feeling more fit in general.  Part of me is wishing I would have taken some before pictures for comparison purposes...but I fear that would distract from my overall goals.  I'm not trying to have an ultra-ripped body or anything.  I want my p90x experience to kick-start me into a healthier, more balanced lifestyle.

So far, I think it's accomplishing that task.

1 comment:

  1. The aforementioned core workout are a much safer and more effective alternative to crunches. Implementing this type of core training builds balanced stability, endurance and strength in the abs and lower back. Break away from the crunch-aholic syndrome and start training smarter.

    ReplyDelete