Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Days 43 & 44

Day 43 - Chest & Shoulders

It felt good to get back into the groove after three lackluster days at the end of the previous week.  I was able to increase weight and/or reps in most of the elements.  It's still difficult for me to do more than 30 consecutive push-ups from my toes, so most of the advanced push-up sequences are done from my knees.  I really worked my triceps hard, which I needed to do.  I've been riding my bike more often, and I really notice a lack of strength in my arms over a long period of time.

This was my best Ab Ripper day, by far.  I stayed with the people on the DVD for 5 of the 11 elements.  I took short breaks in the middle of the other 6.  Oblique V-Ups continue to be my nemesis.  (They really hurt my hip bone!)  I've noticed a slow, steady increase in stamina during Ab Ripper.  I still have a ways to go before there is any noticeable ab definition, but I feel stronger in my core and no longer dread the ab workouts.

I continue to eat like crap, for the most part.  Every good choice (yogurt, fruit, veggies, water) is offset by a lazy choice (cheeseburger, diet soda, coffee, sugars).  In a way, I feel "entitled" to eat bad food after a hard workout.  I'm also not feeling the adverse affects of poor diet (headaches, stomach cramps, etc.) that I did early on.  I was motivated by fear of illness in the first weeks.  Now, I can get away with it.  Ugh!


Day 44 - Plyometrics

This workout went really well.  I'm noticing an ability to do a more full range of motion in the various sequences.  The muscles around my joints (especially my faulty knees) are getting stronger, which makes it easier to be more explosive during the workout.  The only bummer was having to stop before the "bonus round" and cool-down, due to limited schedule.  I really noticed this later in the day, when an old nagging right-calf injury came out of retirement.  Hopefully some yoga in two days will help me stretch that out.

Now, a complaint.  Tony's antics during this workout annoy the hell out of me.  He's a good-natured, quasi-geek during most of the workouts, which can provide a helpful distraction from soreness and exhaustion.  But, for whatever reason, he's ultra goofy on Plyo X.  For example:

"Cheeseburger - bad.  Fries - bad.  Shakes - bad.  CocaCola - bad...oops, I said it!  Drink your water, people."  (ooooh!  you're such a deviant by telling people not to drink soda.)
"And here's Pam, they call her Blam."  and later  "Let's go to Pam for perfection.  They call her Perfect Pam."  (do we really need nicknames for the random people in the background?)
"You want to be like Cat-Man or Spider-Woman on this one." (strike that...reverse it.)
"You should see me play hoop after a few weeks of plyo!"  (oh wow...Tony...you're such a stud...please, tell us more about how good you are at sports.)
"You do have the Cardio X option for those who aren't Plyo X ready.  But if you have this DVD on your TV right now...get ready...cuz it's COMIN'!"  (thanks for the reminder)


Whatever...these aren't the worst thing in the world...but it just annoys me after 9 sessions of Plyo X.  Maybe next time I'll mute the video and play some music in the room.

Eating sucked, again.  Just to spite Tony, I had a cheeseburger, fries, shake, and a diet soda during the day (though not all at the same time).  I did make some good choices, but I'm mostly morphing back into my old ways of grabbing cheap, unhealthy food on-the-go.  Maybe tomorrow will be better...

No comments:

Post a Comment